Once the capital of the Chand dynasty, Kangra is a picturesque valley in the Himalayas is sheltered by the Dauladhar hills. The glory of the town might have faded but there are many tourist attractions in Kangra. These attract a lot of tourists to this place every year. Tourists get to see both the magnificent Buddhist and Hindu Shrines.
Brajeshwari Devi Temple:
Just outside Kangra town, is the temple dedicated to the “living deity” - Brajeshwari Devi. Known once for its legendary wealth, this temple was subjected to successive damages by invaders from the North. Mohammed of Ghazni is known to have departed with a king's ransom in gold, silver and jewels in 1009. The temple was destroyed completely in 1905 by a devastating earthquake but was rebuilt in 1920.
Maharana Pratap Sagar Lake:
The Maharana Pratap Sagar Lake, created in 1979 by the construction of Pong Dam across the river Beas, lies to the southwest of Kangra district. It was named after the great patriot Maharana Pratap (1572-97 AD) who struggled valiantly for freedom of Mewar-as for the principle of independence. Over the river Beas, the Pong dam was completed in 1976. Its reservoir covers an area of about 45,000 hectares at maximum possible flooding. The level varies every season and averages around 30000 hectares. This large wetland when fully occupied during flood is a favoured stopover for migratory birds from central Asia.
30 km. from Kangra and 56 km. from Dharamshala. This place is famous for Jwalamukhi, the 'Flamming Goddess'. It is one of the most popular Hindu temple in Northern India. There is no idol and the flame is considered a manifestation of the Goddess. The eternal flame issues from the rock sanctum and is constantly fed by the priests. Two important fairs are held during the Navratras, in early April and in mid October.
Chamunda Devi Temple:
It is 15 km. from Kangra. This temple is situated on the right bank of the 'Baner' stream with the Dhauladhar as a backdrop, this has an idol of goddess Chamunda, who, it is said, was given the boon to fulfil the desires of those who worshipped her. On the back of the temple is a cave niche where a stone 'Lingam' under a boulder represents Nandi Keshwar (Shiva).
The remains of the fort of the rulers of kangra are situated on a strategic height, overlooking the Ban Ganga and Manjhi Rivers. The ruins of Kangra fort still dominate the Kangra velley. Mehmood Ghazni conquered it in 1009 AD,at that time the place was known as Bhima Nagar after Bhima one among the Pandavas. Then after Muhammed Tuglaq also conquered the fort in 1337 but could not hold it for long. Feroz Tuglaq also plundered the Kangra fort in 1365 AD.
Masroor Rock Temple:
Mansoor is situated 15 kms south of Kangra, famous for its monolithic rock temples. There are 15 rocks cut temples in Indo-Aryan style which are richly carved. The temples partly ruined, now are profusely decorated with sculptural decoration, conceived in the same manner as the great temple of Kailash at Elora in Maharashtra with which they bear a striking similarity. The main temple is dedicated to Lord Ram, Lakshman and Mother Goddess Sita.
Muslims used this place to propagate the ideas of Islam and in 1933 the 'Nawab of Bhavalpur' built a palace there, which was named as Alhilal. Till 1947, the place remained as the Summer capital of the Nawab. From 1947-49 it was used as warehouse by the Punjab government. In 1949 it came in the possession of 'Maharani Tara' the wife of Maharaja Hari Singh of Jammu and mother of Raja Karan Singh. In 1951 it was converted into a Motel Taragarh Palace.
The historic town of Sujanpur Tira is known for its palace, now in ruins, built by Raja Sansar Chand. It is famous for the temples of Gauri Shankar, Murli Manohar and Narbadeshwar. There is the largest ground of Himachal Pradesh which is made use of as a meeting place and also for sports activities.